Pages - Menu

Saturday, 16 January 2010

Haiti Earthquake



The UN has launched an appeal for $562m (£346m), to help victims of Tuesday's devastating earthquake in Haiti.

UN humanitarian chief John Holmes said the funds were intended to help three million people for six months.

The earthquake has left tens of thousands of people dead, and rescuers are continuing an increasingly desperate search for survivors.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she would travel to Haiti on Saturday.

The BBC's Matthew Price, outside the ruins of a nursing college in the capital Port-au-Prince, says he has been told by a female member of staff that there could be 260 dead bodies and up to 25 people still alive under the rubble.

A team of Brazilian rescuers is trying to gain access to the victims but progress is painfully slow, our correspondent adds.

Haitian Interior Minister Paul Antoine Bien-Aime told Reuters news agency that 50,000 bodies had already been collected.

"We anticipate there will be between 100,000 and 200,000 dead in total, although we will never know the exact number," he said.

The Pan American Health Organization has estimated that the death toll could be as high as 100,000, while the UN said about 300,000 had been made homeless.

The US has announced it will grant leave to remain to thousands of illegal Haitian migrants living there due to the humanitarian crisis in their country.

The chief of the homeland security department, Janet Napolitano, said they would be allowed to stay and work, initially for 18 months.

3 comments:

Waiz said...

Mmg kene kasi dua bahan eh??

محمد خىر said...

satu je dh cukup.ni de telebih rajin ni.

syfq... said...

well, you know me. ;)
haha